Off topic: Advice to the government re abortion funding
A friend asked me to write to the Prime Minister, advising against funding abortion in Third World countries, and I thought I may as well oblige, as I think it a poor policy. I also thought I would post my reasoning here:
Mr. Prime Minister and excellent minister Bev Oda:People debate whether unborn children deserve the protection of law. I think they do, but in this case, that is not really the point. Rather, sending money abroad for these purposes means sending it into jurisdictions where laws against the situations described above may not exist or may be unenforced and unenforceable. Or the government may be tacitly or openly supporting it. And the last thing I would expect is a straight story out of anyone involved. Now back to work.
Please stand firm against the people who will get money from aborting babies in other countries, if you cave in.
This is for a number of non-religious reasons:
1. There is NO reason to believe abortion will even be voluntary. And what can we do if it isn't? It is better if we Canadians just do not fund it. (If people in other countries want to force women to be aborted, to meet grant-based population reduction quotas, we cannot stop them. But at least we had nothing to do with it, right? It's not like the cheque is stamped 'From a grateful CANADA'. Surely, there are some shames we cannot stoop to.)
2. Contrary to population whackos, most of the world is in steep demographic decline. This is bad news for business, pension plans, etc. Why add to the problem? Right now, YOUR government is advertising for healthy young workers from abroad. So we should kill their successors?
3. Abortion clinics are run by people who do not mind killing babies for a living. Even if you didn't agree that that is a problem, a number of other evils result, including: Teachers molest underage girls and ship them to clinics for discreet abortions, unbeknown to their parents. Abortion clinics may also function on the adoption black market. = Would you keep it for a while instead of killing it, if we get you some money?
4. No one should believe anything an abortion clinic operator says about not killing viable babies. If he really cared about stuff like that, he would not likely do what he does now. So you can assume, for practical purposes, it is unreliable.
5. Some babies may be sold for research that should never be done on a human being, but remember that they do not technically exist.
Stand firm! Most of the criticism I hear about your government comes from NOT standing up for traditional Canadian values. Most of the praise I hear is for doing so.
And REPEAL Section 13 and FIRE Jennifer Lynch. Quit fooling around about that too. People are really angry.
Traditional values and civil rights are important to the people who would re-elect you.