Google
Custom Search

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Theistic evolution: What does it really mean?

I asked a prof recently,

I don't mean to cause a hassle, but ... doesn't "theistic evolution" - Francis Collins- style - naturally lead to unorthodoxy?

Collins's view - amounts to making rules for God, doesn't it? Like, what God is or isn't allowed to do.

So then the rules run God, but God doesn't run the rules. So the rules are really God.

So we can dispense with God. It's just the rules, really.

Then we only need show that the rules could somehow have evolved without any
intelligence, and we have atheism.

If that is not "theistic evolution", American Scientific Affiliation list-style, please tell me what exactly it is.

I needn't wonder any longer why people who go for that sort of thing end up outside the evangelical Christian community.

Why I even care: I must write a journal article for ASA's Perspectives soon. I don't plan to get into religion, but don't want a fight with them.

I am a news hack. We call it news because it isn't "olds.".

PS: I am a genuine theistic evolutionist, like Mike Behe, in the sense that I think that God could create entirely through evolution, if that is what he chooses to do. But it is a designed process. Specifically, there is nothing random about the outcome. And there is evidence of design.

Find out why there is an intelligent design controversy:

Labels: ,

Who links to me?